Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Clash of Eagles by Alan Smale

A Brief Summary:
What if Rome had never fallen? What if they had conquered all of Europe and set their eyes on the land beyond the ocean? Gaius Marcellinius and his legions were sent to explore, annex, and find gold in this new land. However the natives fighting skills were woefully underestimated and the Fighting 33 falls. Now Gaius must find a place in this new world. But will the advances he wishes to make help or harm his new kinsmen?

My Review:
My first foray into military fiction, and I loved it. The battles were more tactically explained, then descriptions of gore which I appreciated. You really get inside the mind of a Roman solider. The natives also have a multitude of tricks up their sleeves.

I also enjoy the inter-tribal relationships particularity the rivalry between the Cahokia *Gaius's adopted tribe* and the Iroqua . It's one of the main reasons for Gaius's continued survival, as the war chief thinks that he can help them win the Mourning War.

I also like the changes that are wrought by Roman technology, weapons for the most part. The way that the battles are fought between the natives have been drastically changed because of it.

As with any book that's historically based I look for accuracy and research, and this book delivers. Painstakingly researched, and beautifully portrayed, giving life to a city where the history has been forgotten. Granted a few technologies were added to the natives stash were created by the author but they fit in wonderfully.

I hope there will be more books in this universe, maybe with a native narrating next time. Either way I hope for more from this extremely talented author.

I received this book courtesy of NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group in exchange for my free and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment