Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Scott Pilgrim series

Since my boyfriend was the one who inspired me to start this blog I've decided to review one of his favorite series of all time Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. They are a series of graphic novel and there is also a movie adaptation with distinct differences from the books. Unlike most movie versions these differences were planned and the author and director worked together making the decisions such as who would have certain plot points and differences in characters.

Now on to the review!

So far I've only read up to the fourth book but so far I've highly enjoyed the series. The series revolves around Scott Pilgrim a 23 year old who is a member of a band, recently dated a high schooler and now has to defeat his new girlfriend's (Ramona Flowers) 7 evil exes. This series has good character development, playful story elements, and great artwork.

Starting in book one you see Scott a kid in an adults body start to grow up very slowly but that's what keeps the story interesting. In every book you are introduced to new and quirky characters who help you learn more about Scott and Ramona and their respective histories.

The books also have video game elements, such as certain things Scott does earns him experience and he gains levels. I personally enjoyed this touch as I love video games.

The artwork is also fun and fitting to the story line and characters.

All in all I think it's a good series and I'm glad that despite my initial reservations I took the time to read. Now I'm looking forward to reading the last two books.


Update 11-13

I've finished the last two books and they are definitely the best in the series. I won't give anything away so you should just read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment