Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

In the land of seven kingdoms there are people with special abilities called Graces. Along with their abilities they are marked by having two different colored eyes. Their abilities are as varied as they are from fighting, to music to needlework, even to killing. Killing so happens to be Katsa's grace, granting her speed and stamina far beyond what one would expect for a girl her age. The king has exploited her grace since she was ten, thus she has begun secretly rebelling trying to make up for the things she has been made to do by carrying out secret missions to help the people. During one of her missions she meets someone who will change the course of her life forever. Will it be for good or for ill?

I first read this book when I was a sophomore in high school when I was about 16, I absolutely feel in love with it. Re-reading it about five years later its just as intoxicating as it was the first time. One thing that draws me to certain stories is strong protagonists and that is Katsa in a nutshell. She's been ostracized for her grace practically since she was born, and it progressively got worse as she honed her grace. The other main characters contrast and compliment her strength and aloofness with being more open and friendly.

The setting is wonderfully described and so vast setting it up for the next books in the series so they're not stuck in a cookie cutter pattern. I personally loved the graces they reminded me of a manga that I really enjoy Alice Academy. 

All in all this book is totally worth it and a wonderful ready one of my favorite fantasy stories. I'm really glad that I found that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment