Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Interview With Stacey R. Campbell


I can't tell you guys how excited I am to bring you this interview with Stacey. She has been an absolute dream to work with, and I couldn't have found a better author to do my first interview with. So without further ado her it is:


Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and how you became an author?


I did not become a writer until I turned 40. That’s not to say I didn’t want to be a writer though. I have a learning disability called dyslexia and from a very early age, my teacher told me that I could never be a writer. This was crushing. I had stories playing out in my head that needed to get out, but I believed what I was told and was afraid to try. Finally, after having kids of my own I found that I could not look at them and tell them they could be whatever they wanted to be when they grew up if I did not do the same. So I sat down at the computer, turned on spell check and started to write.


Whisper is the second book in your Lakeview Novels, was Whisper your original title or did it change as the book progressed?


I am lucky to be signed with a smaller publishing house that allows me to be involved with the development of my books. Did you know that most authors don’t get the final say in what the title is? They don’t even get the last say in what their covers look like. I did luckily. In fact, before I even finished Hush, book one, the titles for all four books in the series Hush, Whisper, Scream, & Silence were approved.


Did you have trouble switching from the perspectives of your original protagonists from Hush to your new protagonists in Whisper? And did you have a favorite person to write from the perspective of? 


The Lakeview series, Hush Whisper Scream, & Silence are very easy for me to write, the first drafts of each taking just under 6 months to produce. The only reason they are easy though is because they are loosely based on my three daughters and the actual boarding school they attend, Shawnigan Lake School. Check out their website, you’ll laugh. In fact in each book I use our daughter’s names as the leads, with their permission of course.
Each character is the combination of about five people and I write in depth profiles on who I want each character to be before I even start writing an outline. I have the forms I use on my website under the  “on Writing” tab so people can get an idea of the process. www.staceyrcampbell.com.
That being said however, I guess theirs; Blakely, Leigh & Halle are the perspectives I like writing the best because I feel closer to them even though they are away at school. Blakely is now away at college, so who knows, I might have to write my next series on a University campus.


I know this is a pretty cliche question but did you have a favorite character? If so who and why?


That is a hard question for me to answer. Right now I am in the middle of outlining book four. My favorite character in the series is North, but he doesn’t play a big roll in Whisper. For Whisper it might have been Calum. I like his journey from jerk to good guy. I also really like Elsie. She’s the first ghost I’ve written and it was really fun to write her into scenes.


You have another book in the works for the Lakeview Novels can you tell me anything about it?

I am super excited about this next book, Scream. Unlike the other books this one starts out with a romance and then tells the story of a friendship. I also dive into the power of rumors and how awful hearsay is. It’s a lot of action, more so then the other two books. I’m hoping it will keep the reader up well into the night because they can’t put it down until they’ve finished the whole story. Scream is at the editors now but look for it in March 2015.



I cannot thank Stacey enough for this opportunity to do this interview with her. She was absolutely incredible throughout the entire process. I highly recommend checking her out.

Here's a link to my review of Whisper. You should read that then get both of the books that are out so far, and join me in impatiently waiting for Scream.


Here are some links to check out Stacey, so click them.
Check out her website: www.staceyrcampbell.com to keep updated on her new works.
She's on Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorstaceyrcampbell
She is also on Twitter: @staceyrcampbell

1 comment: