Saturday, February 28, 2015

Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova

A Brief Summary:
Joe O'Brien has been a Boston police officer, devoted husband and father for most of his adult life. Now he's been a major curve ball. A diagnosis of Huntington's Disease, a lethal nerodegenerative disorder. Along with him having this disorder his four children have a fifty-fifty shot of developing the disorder. Join Joe and his family as they face this terrifying disease.


My Review:
Before reading this book my understanding of Huntington's was limited to how it was portrayed on T.V., specifically on House M.D. Meaning I didn't understand but now I have a general understanding of what it is, and what it does. It's a brutal disease, attacking you both physically and mentally claiming your life in the end, it's also a dominant trait. Meaning if you have it your kids have a fifty-fifty chance of being handed a death sentence.

That's a lot to take in. I really like seeing how Kate Joe's youngest child handled the possibility of having HD. Mostly because that's how I'd react. I'd want to know, but I'd be terrified. She wavers back and forth on her decision. Unsure if she wants to start a life with this hanging over her.

Joe's transformation throughout the book is heartbreaking, and heartwarming at the same time. He displays remarkable courage in the face of his disease. His disease progresses at an alarming rate, a year after the diagnosis he seems to be going downhill quickly.

I absolutely loved t his book but the ending was so frustrating!!! It is a major, emotionally charged cliffhanger that will most likely never be resolved!

I received this book courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for my free and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment